Requirements for captions and text tracks (subtitles)
🚨We require all content to be submitted with ENGLISH CLOSED CAPTIONS.
What are closed captions
Closed captions aim to describe to the deaf and hard of hearing all significant audio content—spoken dialogue and non-speech information such as the identity of speakers and, occasionally, their manner of speaking—along with any significant music or sound effects using words or symbols.
Nearly all major streaming Channels now mandate closed captions for reasons besides physiological hearing issues. Your audience will often watch films on a laptop in a noisy cafe, or a tablet on a commuter train, or a TV in a bar - or simply at home in the kitchen with the sound of cooking and kids. Closed captions allow consumers in all these scenarios to enjoy your content comfortably.
- We prefer SubRip (.srt) format in plain UTF-8. We recommend using a text editor such as BBEdit to open and re-save your .srt files in UTF-8.
- Scenarist Closed Captions (.scc) is also accepted. A frame rate must be selected for SCC files. Learn more about SCC.
- All text tracks should be complete, accurate, and should stay in sync with the video at all times.
- This includes lyrics in the opening and closing credits.
- Correct punctuation and spelling are important.
- Avoid formatting tags.
For other file formats, you can use the below apps or web apps to convert to SubRip.
Text Track Rule Requirements
Single line max 43 chars
Min gap between subtitles 66 ms
Max chars/sec 25
Min duration 600 ms
Max duration 8000 ms
Max number of lines 2
Unbreak subtitles shorter than 43 chars
Mixed Language Titles
If English is the primary audio language, you can burn in English subtitles for all the non-English dialogue and provide a separate English closed caption file that INCLUDES the lines that are burned in.
If English is a secondary audio language, you should provide the main video without burned-in subtitles, and have a complete English closed caption file (ALL dialogues + atmospherics). In addition to that, it's recommended that you also upload two additional English text tracks:
English subtitles for ALL dialogue, no atmospherics
English closed captions for ALL dialogue plus atmospherics